I PROMISED!

yes..I promised a second step yesterday. Today, despite a planned soccer 4 vs 4 soccer tournament, it RAINED...AGAIN...on a WEEKEND. Luckily for me, they actually cancelled it BEFORE we left the house! YIPPPEEE! I made pork chops in the crockpot yesterday, and I was the only one home to eat them. My husband was at a golf tournament for his old AF squadron..it included dinner...altho I didn't KNOW it included dinner. Our son was at a birthday party that included pizza...altho I didn't KNOW it included pizza. VOILA! An afternoon to myself...and dinner premade. HEAVEN! (I dont' want you to think I don't LOVE my family! I just don't get much time to get my projects done...and ...well..an afternoon to myself is a welcome break.)


On to the tote.




Now we are working on the long edges: one is the quilted edge and the other is the lining. They will not be sewn together on this step. If you have an uneven side seam (the short side), you may trim that up now. Be sure that if you trim up the 'good' side', you have lining underneath. (ask me how I know!).


On each long edge, zig zag over a heavier thread-being careful not to sew THRU that thread. You will use this to gather the edge. (my friend used dental floss...ooh MINTY! she said she had trouble with her thread breaking. I used hand quilting thread on one and just a heavier machine quilting thread on my 2nd one w/o any breaks.)




this is the quilted edge






this is the lining edge.




Now match the short end edges together lining to lining and quilt to quilt. You need to sew a seam along this line. I used a 1/4 but you can make it a bit larger if you like. Be sure to not sew thru your gathering stitches and leave a gap large enough to fit the 12 inch embroidery hoop thru. Backstitch each time you start and stop.
(you can see along the quilted edge that I didnt' take my own advise : trim the uneven quilted edge. I will do that now..and maybe carefully serge the edges where its sewn. Not the unsewn..will need an extra bit when I turn the tote)


if anyone can tell me how to turn this tutorial into .pdf files, I will try to do printable pages...

Comments

Angie said…
Well, there you are~~thought you had forgotten all of your 'family' out here -- wondering where Beth went to -- LOL Not that you have anything ELSE to think about, right??? :D Glad you had an afternoon to yourself, girl. I know how seldom that happens and how precious they are to those of us who have hobbies of our own, as well as families. :D Hope you enjoyed EVERY moment of it! (and thanks for the bag tute) :D

Popular Posts