good bye to an old friend



I made this jacket about 10 yrs ago. I had taken a class..there were only 3 of us in it. I was the only one who actually stuck to the applique apples. Over the years, I have fielded HUNDREDS of questions of "are you a teacher?" ! (I am not ...I have a degree in nursing) The green homespun, while lovely, has not held up as well as the rest of the fabrics.









You can see the wear not only on the cuff, but up the sleeve seam as well. I have decided to pass this on. I have worn it this way for a LONG LONG time. It is a good color. I liked making it..and best of all, it is a perfect weight for most of jacket weather in AZ. ( I'm sure you will think we don't NEED jackets ever..but we DO!) I still have the pattern, so eventually I will make another. In the meantime I have a new Land's End jacket I found on sale at Sears. Good weight, good color (BLUE of course). BUT...not as much fun to wear! No one will ask me if I'm a teacher OR if I made it myself! I toyed with the idea of repairing it, but after having a good look, I think it will be more trouble than making a new coat. Kinda sad...I have a picture of me and my best friend at our sons' soccer tournament. I'm wearing the apple jacket. I remember that tournament because my youngest was just toddling and I CHASED him more than I got to watch soccer games! That child is now 11. :::sigh:::::

Comments

Joyce said…
It's sad when clothes we love get worn out. You can always make another one. I was a teacher and I would have loved a jacket like that.
Angie said…
It's fun to have a quilty item to wear...or in my case, carry. :D I have a patchwork purse that I get so many comments on, and I do love this bag. I'm getting ready to make a couple more...one of me and one for a girl at our local post office. :) Just go ahead and make 2 more of that jacket, girlfriend, one of you and one for ME!!! LOL
Lois R. said…
It is sad to see an old friend go. Don't forget to cut some scraps from it before you toss it. Perhaps they can be worked in somewhere else...
Anne Heidi said…
I liked the bag idea, that way you can keep using it :)
I love your hr. a day blocks, the fireworks fabric is really neat!

Popular Posts