piecing batting

Ready for another quick tip? Do you have pieces of left over batting? I do! Smaller scraps get saved with my left over quilting scraps and stuffed into dog beds. My local shelter loves them! But what about larger chunks? I have cut some to use on my swiffer...or dust with them. I think I have heard of someone washing those and using them again. I bet it was my blog friend Anita that came up with THAT idea! I regularly have larger pieces from my long arm. I have paid enough money for that batting... I don't want to cut it up or throw it away! So lets piece them and use them again!


My first tip? don't try to piece different TYPES of batting. I usually use Warm and Natural or Warm and White. DO piece like types.



Lay your pieces out and overlap the ends like this:




Make sure they overlap the whole length of the pieces.




Now use your long ruler to slice thru that overlap. You can remove the little slivers (and start stuffing your OWN dog bed!). ( I did try this without a ruler. It did not work for me. I had a bit of stretch and then the little variables in the edge didnt' line up. I like the straight edge better. What works for you?)





Take the two pieces to your sewing machine. Set the machine for a zig zag. You may have to practice on some of those slivers. You want to get a 'bite' of each side and still lay flat. The two sides will butt up against each other snugly. Try not to tug on the batting as it will stretch (ask me how I know!)






This has been pieced and is ready to use.





And here is the same piece loaded in a quilt on my frame.

Hope you found this helpful and happy frugality!

Comments

Jen said…
I've done this for years, but I NEVER thought to overlap and zip the rotary cutter though to straighten. That's Brilliant Beth!!
Na Na said…
Hi Beth, Sorry, I can't help myself. I have another suggestion. You can use tiny drops of glue here and there to hold the batting together while sewing the pieces.

Just put a dot of glue on the edge of one piece, butt the other side up to it, let dry and it's like being pinned. Tacky glue drys fast and tiny dots are invisible after quilting.

Popular Posts